The Healthy Homes Guarantee Act standards for rental properties were announced in late February 2019.
With the passing of the Healthy Homes Guarantee Act in December 2017, Housing and Urban Development Minister Phil Twyford sought submissions for heating, insulation, ventilation, moisture and drainage, and draught stopping for residential rentals in New Zealand. According to Phil, making sure all New Zealanders had warm, dry homes was the most important public health change the Government could make. In late February this year, minimum requirements were announced. Here’s what you need to know:
- All rental homes will be required to have fixed heating that can heat the main living area to 18oC.
- Rental homes must have ceiling and underfloor insulation that either meets the 2008 Building Code insulation standard, or (for existing ceiling insulation) has a minimum thickness of 120mm.
- Ventilation standards will include openable windows in the living, dining, kitchen and bedrooms. Kitchens and bathrooms will also have to have extraction fans or rangehoods.
- Where rental homes have an enclosed subfloor space property owners may need to install a ground moisture barrier to stop moisture rising into the home
- The standards also reinforce existing law that says landlords must have adequate drainage and guttering to prevent water entering the home.
- Draughts that make a home harder to heat will have to be blocked.
1 July 2021 – From this date, landlords must ensure that their rental properties comply with Healthy Homes Standards within 90 days of any new tenancy.
1 July 2021 – All boarding houses must comply with the Healthy Homes Standards.
1 July 2023 – All Housing New Zealand and registered Community Housing Provider houses must comply with the Healthy Homes Standards.
1 July 2024 – All rental homes must comply with the Healthy Homes Standards.
What Happens Now?
The above standards still need to be drafted into regulations to be approved by cabinet. They will then likely become law by mid-2019.
More information on the Healthy Homes Standards can be found on the MBIE website here.
We are also holding a complimentary property investment seminar on ‘The Impact of the Healthy Homes Guarantee Act on Investors’ on Thursday 2 May.CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS AND TO REGISTER
If you have any questions about how the Healthy Homes Guarantee Act standards will impact you, feel free to contact us on the form below.